1) After-School Programme
Our Evening school Teachers immerse themselves in After school programme, and help the children with their daily academic lessons. Similarly, the teacher of Karunai Illam Orphange Home will provide emotional/physical care and support for vulnerable children who have been partially orphaned or abandoned by their parents. As well as caring for the children, the teachers of Karunai Illam Orphange Home will also teach the children basic education and life skills. Providing special education for the children in our volunteering projects, knowledge of English and maths are skills that will greatly benefit each child. In addition to education, sports & games are also organized for the children during special occasions.
|After School programme Schedule|
|No. of Teachers||1 Lead Teacher and 1 Assistant Teacher|
|No of Children||16 girl Children|
|Classes studying||1st to 8th standard|
|Area of Operations||Karunai Illam, Perur|
|Project started on||25th Sep 2003|
The uniqueness of the classes are to create friendly study environment with special attention to the critical subjects such as mathematics, English, attending on children who need special and more attention, to, upgrade the education status, and conducting tests on week end.
2) Motivation and Career focus training for slum children
Blazetrust stepped into conducting Education Motivation Class and Career Focus Training classes to drop-out and Non school going children in rural and urban slum areas of Coimbatore Districts.
We are training children how to learn, rather than what to learn.
Creative Thinking. Problem Solving. Time Management. Team Collaboration and Cooperation.
The Training program needs to complement the education they are receiving, not replace it. We have created an environment within the slum where we are inspiring an interest in learning and motivating the children to take proactive steps in preparing for their future.
- The training programmes are centered around computer and web-based learning. The children are learning to type and create charts graphs and formulas. The children are using Google Apps to email. The children are using internet news sites to follow current events and compare the different points of view that are available from different sources.We believe it is crucial for the children to develop 21st century skills as they prepare for their lives outside the slum area.
- The training programmes are focused on creating connections. Connections with children in similar environments. Connections with children in different environments.Connections with children in other parts of Area. Most of the slum children live out their childhood in an isolated environment.We believe that by using the web to create connections, we can diminish that sense of isolation and instead help the children to imagine a future that is exciting.
- The Training programmes are team-based and set-up to give each child a key role within the group and each child must play a role. Living in Slum or rural circumstance almost results in groupings of children where only a handful of children have a voice. The other children are left to follow and take orders. We believe that by encouraging positive group dynamics we can teach self-confidence and help the children to develop healthy self-esteem.
- All projects are set-up to encourage student inquiry based learning. Children naturally have questions about the world around them. But children who have been orphaned may have never had an adult in their lives to whom they can ask their questions. By the time they reach 12 or 13 years of age, they may have stopped inquiring altogether. Why inquire when you never receive an answer? But we know how important it is to teach kids how to think through issues, engage in discussions, and find solutions.We believe that by encouraging children to ask questions and learn how to seek solutions we are equipping children to be much more prepared for their futures outside the orphanage. We want these kids to become life long learners!
- Additionally, forming of students clubs in our Self Help group working area, we are supporting the children through education loans and career opportunities guidance.Through this career focused training programme, children are geared to consider higher studies and encourage them to focus on a particular goal. We believe that by creating an increased curiosity about careers, as well as greater understanding about possible career opportunities, we can help motivate children to set career goals and begin taking steps toward achieving these goals.
A key goal of this project is to bring a systematic change in the children’s mindset to get motivated to act as a group, know about their problems and solutions for that and have a focused goal.
3) Skill development training centre:
Our skill development training center was started with the idea of imparting electronic education in addition to the regular school curriculum, free of cost to the underprivileged children. Imparting of skills like M.S. Office, Tally, Excell worksheets and other basic computer skills are given with hands on experience in P.C. Though nowadays schools themselves teach such syllabi, we take extra effort from trained personnel, and from other forms of electronic media, as today computer software gets updated by the hour. We are hopeful that this initiative will go a long way in developing the student’s skill, either in the search for job or in his self confidence.